Go Back   The Palace Avatar Chat Community Forums. > Palace Planet > Harrys Bar

Harrys Bar Oldtimers and newtimers Palace bar and grill.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2005, 11:50 PM
Palace User

dustinn is on a distinguished road
I'm building a website called the palace collaboration project. I hope you'll all be interested in joining up and helping out. =)
Old 03-13-2005, 07:27 PM
Palace User

http://thedchat.com/pcp

it'll be done in a few days =)
Old 03-13-2005, 08:52 PM
Palace Planet Founder

maarten is on a distinguished road
Not to spoil the fun or anything but.... Your creating a new site to fight for cooperation and announce it in a thread that is about working together on a site that has all available features to work together already.

So why didn't you use Palaceplanet for this? We have been promoting the same thing for 5 years already :P

Actually my point is: The problem is there because everybody wants to work together in their own way. It is the power and the weakness of the Palace.

You can only change this by not doing the same thing yourself and this is the real problem... because it means finding people who think like you andare not afraid to make room, hand you the keys to the castle and let you play with it.

The other problem is: did you come on palace just to get as many people on your server as possible? Or did you come to build a server for fun? Perhaps you just came to chat. For me building a Palace was more fun then runing it or dealing with the 35+ guests. At one time it was what is known as "popular" I didn't like the place at all and thank god the place is empty again.

-If you came to chat, great there are loads of popular Palaces

-If you want to build a place, cool have fun and build

-If you want to run a popular Palace, work hard and become a wizard at a big established Palace. Practice on your own Palace server.

And remember that if your realy into Palace cooporation the best thing you can do is spend your energy on helping Palace Planet :P
Old 03-14-2005, 02:48 PM
Palace User

The Collaboration Project is'nt a place for the people to collaborate, it just a place to explain what we are trying to do and what they can do to help. It is just going to have text on it to get out the idea of collaborating. Once they understand that, they can come to places like palaceplanet and help contribute. The point is to refer people to you, not split up the community more than it already is. =)
Old 03-14-2005, 09:49 PM
Palace Planet Founder

Right, I was not trying to critisize (however you spell that) but thinking out loud about the how and why of Palace cooperation. After nine years of Palace some things are still a big mystery to me.

The helping Palaceplanet was meant as a joke so hope you don't take it too serious. I think Palace is about choice and people should do whatever they want. Most people know the smart thing to do is work together, but its not always the most fun and I hope everybody comes online to have fun. So I guess what I am trying to say is:

Most people will cooperate on short events or small things but for the long term I think everybody just wants to do their own thing.

That is why a Place like this needs a LOT of volunteers so everybody can do a small piece and get back to their own work. And to try and stop people remaking the same site over and over again.

Trying not to preach or sound selfish but let me explain to you what I mean:

If you start a palace cooperation project on a website people have to go to palaceplanet, thepalace.com or whatever other site you use to promote your ideas. There they have to find the link to your pcp site, read about cooperation and get refered back to where they came from. Instead of reading it on the site they are already at.

So you want people to come to your site to read why we should all work together because that is the way you like to do it: It is just more fun to make things your own way.

I tried the same thing for years but slightly different, When thepalace.com was bought by Auto I went to palacetools and thepalace.com and said : hey guys lets make one big site and put palaceplanet and palacetools together. Lets make a real community site on thepalace.com . (nothing happened.. don't ask me why lol) the only thing that came out of this was the two palace server yahoo groups getting together and becoming one with shared ownership.
Old 03-14-2005, 10:48 PM
Palace User

You have a very valid point, however I'm not making an effort to merge huge palace sites that already have well established roots in the community.

What I am trying to do is get both new users and old that have an interest in palace activism, but don't work at any chats or websites, to join, take part in, and work for already existing and sucessful palaces chats and websites. If this happens, people who have never worked to help palace, but have always been interested, will be contributing in making palace a better place.

Merging-wise, any medium and small sized palace chats and websites that are willing and interested can collaborate in combining their effort. It's more to get the smaller places on the same level.

I have only published the home page of the site, and the mission statement probably wasn't very clear, and for this I apologize. I hope now that things are a bit clearer, you don't find it to be just another obstruction for palace. (=
Old 03-15-2005, 11:34 PM
Palace Planet Founder

You still misunderstand me but oh well. Palace planet started out as a website for palace owners to cooperate, actually the name Palaceplanet comes from the idea of pretending we where all living on a giant Palace Planet and you can visit parts of this planet or universe by starting off in a central place.

This idea was fun but never became a reality for all the reasons I mentioned earlier so the site became a starting point for whomever wants to get something done on palace.

I don't think anything is an obstruction or competition or whatever, I am just intrested in finding out what motivates people. And I think you can find most answers to questions by looking at your own actions :)

A funny example is: A lot of people complain about the lack of attention or place to promote. But when we offer them the space and time to do so only very few people actually use it.
Old 03-29-2005, 12:44 AM
Palace User

I guess I got fired over this one eh?
Old 03-29-2005, 12:53 AM
Palace Planet Founder

Eh no? Nobody got fired, didn't you get my mail? Here is a copy in case you don't get the second copy I send you lol:

Hey Dustinn,

A couple of thngs are changing coming april because I'm leaving Palaceplanet in the hands of the volunteers. From what I have seen you are not very involved in the user questions so I want to suggest taking you off that forum and put you somewhere else. Perhaps something based on Palace websites or Palace resources.

Palace user questions and community needs someone thats there on a regular basis and not just to talk about his own projects :P Perhaps you have a suggestion for a forum or some other ideas?

let me know? thanks,

Maarten