Go Back   The Palace Avatar Chat Community Forums. > Palace Builders Palace Users > User Questions

User Questions
The spot for asking your Palace Client and Palace Server Questions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2007, 07:54 PM
Palace Planet Founder

maarten is on a distinguished road
Icon3 HOWTO: Vista registration code work around

Part of the problem with registration is the new security setup in Vista: Vista is set up in such a way it does not allow any programs to write to the system folder. Because Palace needs to write the registration info in this folder you will not be able to register until you fix the problem.

Here is the recent adition by lojosol:

there is also a much simpler way:

1: When you go to open the palace, right-click on the icon
2: Select "Run as Administraitor"
3: A window will pop up asking for permission to continue. give permission
4: The Palace should open and you should be able to eneter the code without any problems.

This is a explanation posted by Bri:

Two ways to solve problems with Palace registration codes on VISTA:

- Try the buried Vista migration wizard, fresh palace install, it will fix many older applications.

Or:

- Edit Vista \windows folder, last resort There will be a lot of people stating they can't work the windows folder because they always get a write protection error. This is due to the fact that when created, Vista sets the folder owner to be the system itself, and not the administrator - therefore making it impossible for anyone to edit the folder without going thru some hassle. So now, we take you thru a short how-to on how to edit the Vista "windows" folder from any other Windows setup you have. For understandability sake, this assumes that you're running Windows XP SP2 (if you aren't, you should).

First, you must turn off simple file sharing. To do so, go to Start » My Computer.

You now have to go to the folders view menu - to do so, go to Tools » Folder Options.

Now go to the "View" tab, scroll all the way down and uncheck "Use simple file sharing (Recommended)".

Now close all that and find your Vista "windows" folder - right click it and select "Properties".

Go to the "Security" tab and click "Advanced".

Now go to the "Owner" tab and select your user from the list - also check "Replace owner on subcontainers and objects". Click "Apply" and then "Ok".

After that's done, close and re-open the Properties window for the Vista "windows" folder and go to the "Security" tab. Now make sure on the "Group and User Names" list you have the same user name selected as the one you gave ownership of the folder to - and on the "Permissions for [user name]" list, select "Full Control" under the Allow column. Click "Apply" then "Ok"
(It's likely that you user name will not be on the list, you can just select the PCNAME\\Administrators group on the list, or click "Add" and manually enter your user, click "Check name", and than "Ok" to add your specific user to the list. This is not needed, just select the admin group.)

You should now be able to delete/modify files within your Vista windows folder. Some specific stubborn folders/files will still be uneditable/deleteable, in order to remove/edit them just go to the folder or file (windows will tell you what folder/file it is when trying to delete/edit it) and manually repeat the last step on that file/folder.
Old 02-22-2008, 06:37 PM
Palace User

lojosol is on a distinguished road
there is also a much simpler way:

1: When you go to open the palace, right-click on the icon
2: Select "Run as Administraitor"
3: A window will pop up asking for permission to continue. give permission
4: The Palace should open and you should be able to eneter the code without any problems.
Old 07-24-2009, 11:05 PM
Palace User

Blacktearz89 is on a distinguished road
is there such way to ...undo this run as administrator action?? because yah i am dumb and decided to do it to try it out even though as far as im concerned i had no problem registering my palace even though there are problems with it but it said i registered successfully. but yah....undoing, is it possible or did i just f*** myself over? cuz i lost ALL my props, ALL my bookmarks everything
Old 07-24-2009, 11:37 PM
Palace Planet Founder

I guess this is a termonology problem, with Palace Client we mean the old Palace 3.5 and 3.6 clients NOT phalanx or Palace Chat. But I have no idea why changing this setting would make your props and bookmarks dissapear. Not sure if Phalanx supports the old palace.prp format or if they use another file name. Best thing you can do is search for the file and see if perhaps windows moved it?

Perhaps with all the new people we should not forget to add the age old disclaimers: ALWAYS make a backup BEFORE you try anything. Hope it is not too late for you.

good luck.
Old 07-25-2009, 12:24 AM
Palace User

Blacktearz89 is on a distinguished road
well i duno what i did but i fixed it haha
Old 07-25-2009, 01:00 AM
Palace Planet Founder

Phew, to be honest that is a relief to hear, I can remember the minor heart attacks I suffered when loosing props. Quick backup everything!! hehehe :)
Old 01-13-2010, 05:36 AM
United Hosting Owner

jaela is on a distinguished road
Start ...Control Panel ....User Accounts ....Turn User Account Control on or off....a box will come up ..click on Continue ...then uncheck the box that says Use User Control to help protect your computer ... install all programs this way ...so they install properly ...and then turn it on after...can try doing this for reg code but may have to reinstall Palace again from scratch